On the way home I started scribbling out ideas on the back of a napkin. That progressed into sketches, then into a full size 1.5 meter x 1 meter 1st draft.
After a few weeks research and teaching myself through watching you tube videos and reading up at the library, and most importantly much guidance, explanation, demonstration and priceless words of wisdom from a wonderful lady called Jane.
Jane is the owner of Patchwork 33 at Wyee Point, and Jane has quickly become my Yoda in the world that is quilting.
I started by pressing and adhearing the background layers using visa flex. First you adhere the visa flex to the back of your fabric, pressing a hot dry iron firmly for 5 seconds. easy right? Well that is until you realise each piece is 1 meter or so long and your iron only covers a small area at a time. Next you cut the piece into shape, peel off the paper backing and press for 7 seconds with a hot dry iron. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
You get the idea.
With all my background layers in place I began the long learning curve of free motion quilting.
Pebble stitch on the far away mountains.
For the sky I had a go at this random pattern, you alternate sewing a ( W ) or a shape that looks like the end of a bone continuing the line upwards sewing a mushroom cloud. That is how it was described to me. My 1st thought was "What The" then i watched the you tube video and it made more sense.
Next I layed down the tree trunk and started laying down the leaves. Jane had made a few suggestions on how I could have created my foliage. Of course all of these ideas just didn't look right to me, they probably would have been a hundred times faster but hey. I'm an obsessive perfectionist and being a gift for my mum and dad it had to be the very best of me, that meant cutting each and every leaf out individually.
Yes I am insane, but that's why you love me right!
I played around with the different shades and layering and decided I was just going to have to bite the bullet and go for it. I pressed down the tree trunk and started free motion stitching some detail and texture onto it to create the bark.
As you can see I tried to give texture to the bark with sharp upward motion and a few knots thrown in the mix.
A close up of the leaves with detailed stitching.
To be continued....